A Special Look at One Expecting Mom’s Journey

Today’s post is a little different than our normal maternity session. Lexia Frank of SugarLeaf Photography sent us a really special documentation series of her own pregnancy, starting at 19 weeks, that we just had to share with you. She was inspired after seeing a series done by photographer and blogger Ryan from Pacing the Panic Room. If you are expecting like I am, this may resonate especially with you as it did with me. We’ve only posted a selection of weeks, but you can see the full series by clicking here to visit Lexia’s blog (the photos are much larger there as well if you are having trouble reading the text). Here is what Lexia had to say about this series:

As a professional photographer, I am rarely ever in front of the camera, instead always behind it. It’s important, however, to know how the client feels in front of a camera, because you can relate so much more. With the advent of our second child, we decided to document my entire pregnancy process each week beginning when I started to show at 19 weeks. It was tough, every single Sunday, finding a few hours free to stand in front of the camera, design the journal entry, and post it to my blog; but it soon grew into much more of a documentation series. I began to really create an amazing connection to my little unborn baby through the letters I wrote each week to him (although we didn’t know it was a ‘he’ at the time!).

A little note about the last two journals…

My father, Warren Williams, an outstanding physician and renaissance man, died three days before I delivered my son. He had battled liver cancer and a host of other problems when suddenly he became unresponsive, and we rushed him to the emergency center. I began contractions that night…

My father was the one who introduced me to photography, who took me out in the field to teach me about aperture and shutter speed. He gave me his Nikon film camera, which I carried with me throughout my travels in Europe. It was my most prized possession. The photography he did in the mid century in Germany is some of the most amazing photography I’ve ever seen.

You can see the full series by clicking here to visit Lexia’s blog.

Photography: SugarLeaf Photography

POSTED IN: Maternity

Comments

This really is so awesome! Love the approach she took in documenting this part of her life for her child. Might I add, I hope I look just like her when I’m pregnant!

This is BEAUTIFUL!

wow! LOVE this idea! I especially like the fashion and changing hair style in each! really get to see the personality!

Sarah K says:

Heart warming & beautiful:) Love it!

Abby K says:

Ok, first of all… HOW CUTE IS SHE PREGO!?! And her little sassy outfits and accessories! LOVE It!
    Secondly… what a great idea… it’s too cute and it will make a cute little flipbook or something!

Kim says:

Oh wow. This made me cry! Wha an amazing gift for your baby. Totally doing this next time.

Kristen T. says:

This is so beautiful and such a good idea! Call me a hippy but Week 38′s outfit/pose is my absolute favorite. And if I could look as hot as her with that haircut, I would do it in a heartbeat, haha. Thank you, On To Baby, for sharing with us; and thank you, Lexia, for sharing your story and journey with the world.

Valerie says:

I’m crying now. I want to do something like this.

Leigh Webber says:

Reminds me a lot of the series “Pacing the Panic Room” did of his wife…

Laura says:

This is my cousin!! She is awesome. And I followed her footsteps a bit (along with Ryan Marshall from Pacing the Panic Room) by writing a journal to the little nugget. Only I took a different take – I documented mine with the fruits and veggies my emails sent me as developmental comparisons every week. Check it out:

Kristi says:

wow… now that made me cry on this Friday afternoon.
    What a beautiful and touching log of your pregnancy.

xxoo,
    Kristi @LOL

Connie says:

Cute. It reminds me of this maternity documentation.

Helen says:

What an amazing series! Such beautiful and spirited images; I am so inspired!

nicole says:

It looks too similar to the original series done by Pacing the Panic Room. Is creativity dead?

ann says:

nicole, I don’t think it was meant to be a competative thing. It was her personal take on her experience and I think it is extremely creative. You should check out her photography website if you want to see true creativity and talent. I would like to see some of your creative work. you know what they say about throwing stones.

[...] I’ve seen these photo shoots before and love them! Even if you don’t want to do week by week, even month by month can be great. It’s a cute, creative, different way to document the stages of your pregnancy! For the full set from Week 19 to Week 39 check out On to Baby. [...]

[...] Japan, with the For Japan, With Love fundraiser/awareness. but, we are SO honored that yet again On To Baby has wanted to publish our work!  they’ve shared my maternity series, and i’m so happy [...]

Anono says:

This is a straight copy of Pacing the Panic Room’s Maternity series, right down to the composition of some and it’s font!

To the comments regarding the similarity to Pacing the Panic Room series: We were unaware of that series when we posted this originally, but we’ve since amended the post to link back to his website. Lexia was in contact with that blogger and posted a link and credit to his site in her series on her own blog. We feel Lexia’s photos and story are special in their own right, and we are so glad Pacing the Panic Room inspired many other photographers to document their pregnancies in such a special way. Please be respectful and kind in your comments, and contact us directly if you have an issue with this content.

Dee says:

Loved this! I’m very impressed she stuck with it every week and wrote such beautiful messages to her baby. Very funky, beautiful lady. It made me cry. Sweetness!

This is such a great way to document your pregnancy! We absolutely love the personal touch of writing a letter to baby! http://t.co/wKDLc5zB

Linda says:

Ok, I just saw this posting now. What an amazing idea to document one’s pregnancy weekly. I know that many people do this with their point-and-shoot cameras or iphones, but when it is done professionally and with style I might add, this is amazing. I also love the info on the side of each photo. I wish I had thought to do something like this for my own pregnancy. Very lovely photos.