Adoption Birth Story Photography

Birth story photography is always powerful and so special, and we are honored each time a new family gives us the opportunity to share theirs with you. This one today is a first for us, as it’s a story of adoption. Photographer Gus Dizon and his wife Mercy adopted baby Ayden, and these beautiful adoption birth story photos capture a bit of the first day they met their son. Gus shared with us a little bit about that amazing day:

“I had no idea when I woke up that ‘normal’ Wednesday morning that I would be a daddy by the end of that night. I got the call at noon from Sarah the birth mother that she was going into labor. Little Ayden Phoenix Dizon was ready to meet Mercy and I three weeks early. It seemed like an eternity as my wife Mercy and I fought the relentless traffic from the San Francisco Bay Area to Sacramento that afternoon. We finally arrived just a little over 5 minutes before Ayden was born, and at about 10 minutes after the doctor handed my the scissors to cut the cord. Just after that Sarah had told the nurses to place Ayden into Mercy’s arms. It was so surreal as our hearts were filled with immense gratitude for Sarah and love for this child destined to be in our care. We are thankful that Sarah had chosen us and made the adoption plans for Ayden.”

To see more, be sure to visit the full gallery before you go!

Photography: Gus Dizon
POSTED IN: Adoption, Birth Stories

Comments

Nadine says:

Beautiful! I love the images but am confused why the adoptive mum gets into a hospital gown and bed. Is everything okay?

I am crying at work, at my desk. The story and the photos are just so powerful and moving. Thank you for sharing

Kristin says:

I’m thinking she got in the gown so she could bond skin on skin with her baby. These are beautiful photos :)

stefanie says:

beautiful photos and adorable baby boy!!

Alexandra says:

What a beautiful story – definitely choked up! So moved by Sarah’s decision to do what was best for Ayden. And so beautiful to see new mommy Mercy meeting her new bundle of joy. Sweet, sweet photos!

Bob Wheatley says:

Beautiful….

Terri Fitch says:

Mercy & Gus, you two are so amazing and I am so happy for all three of you. xoxoxox! Beautiful..just beautiful!

[...] decided to submit Ayden’s birth story to On to Baby , and it was chosen to be featured during the month of January. Well it posted up today! I’m [...]

WOW!! How beautiful. These are such special photographs. Really touching.

HIlary says:

such a beautiful story to be told. Such love in these photos.

Brianne says:

Talk about getting choked up! Beautiful images and a beautiful story!

Jen says:

So beautiful. We are matched with an expectant mother due in February. I can only hope our story is as beautiful as this. :)

Sandra says:

Thank you for sharing these photos with us. What an incredibly special time you were able to capture on film.

On a personal note, my husband and I are just beginning our adoption journey and we live here in Sacramento. I’d love to know who you went through (attorney, law center, agency, etc), how long it took before you were matched, and how your adoption experience was overall. We have yet to meet anyone who went through a private, independent domestic adoption and would love to hear from you.